On 25 Nov 2002, Charles Blackburn wrote:

> well i've just spent the past week trying to get my firewall up after a
> HD crash :(

Glad it's you and not me :-)  that does sound painful...

> nice so u reckon to use the ftdi stuff rather than writing my own
> module? I like things the easy way :P

It sure looked like it was working under 2.4, at least on the 'scope.
And while I don't mind learning how to be a usb guru, I'm not sure
I've got enough time.  You can also buy complete hardware modules
that include the chip and usb socket which you can mount in a thru
hole board.  They run about $25 each, less in quantity.  So in
terms of really easy, it sure looked good to me.  Unfortunatly,
right now I've got more time than money, so I've got to build it
all myself and save a few bucks.  On my day job we've plugged them
into Windows machines and they work fine - we tie them into a PIC
for temperature controllers on medical equipment.

Making it all work with legacy stuff is my problem.  But I think
it's pretty simple if you start with the 2.4 linux kernel and the
ftdi_sio these guys have written (nice work Greg and Bill).

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike