On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Randy.Dunlap wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Hajo C Jeske wrote:
>
> | On Sun, 24 Nov 2002 23:46:12 -0600 (CST)
> | Jason Sharpee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> |
> |  Hello Jason
> |
> | >   I am trying to use a usb pendrive as a root device for a linux
> | > boot floppy.  I compiled 2.4.19 with support for UHCI, USB Storage, and
> | > SCSI into the kernel.
> |
> |  must not into kernel - modules are ok!
>
> There are a couple of patches around that enable USB booting.
> Basically a delay (maybe 3-5 seconds sometimes) is needed in kernel init
> to allow the USB devices (hub, storage, etc.) to power up and be
> initialized and discovered.
> Search the linux-usb-devel mailing list for something like "usb boot"
> or "root fs on usb".
> One such patch is by Eric Lammerts, last posted on 2002-june-03, for
> 2.4.14.  Aha, he has it here:
>   http://www.lammerts.org/software/kernelpatches/usb-storage-root.patch
>
> Another one is at
>   http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-usb-users&m=100408963708374&w=2
>
> Both of these are possibly of out date by now, so need to be refreshed
> for current kernels.
>
> | > When I boot my floppy, I see the USB Storage
> | > driver printk, however, the kernel panics (cant find root /dev/sda1).  It appears
> | > the USB-storage driver has not registered the SCSI device yet by the time the
> | > kernel looks for init.   I tried finding some docs on the USB Storage
> | > driver but wasnt too sucessful.
> | >
> | >   Does anyone know what I am missing?

Thanks for the links..  As you suspected both of those patches directly do
not work with 2.4.19.. The root mount code has apparently moved to
init/do_mounts.c now.  I did wedge in the sleep code there and now it
works!  (It even allows my other IA's to boot nfsroot from usb pegasus now
as well!!)

The other patch looks more gracefull, but I didnt spend much time on
trying to get that in 2.4.19.   Should I raise this issue on Kernel-dev?
I would think you would want to retry to mount the root fs for any sort of
device.

Thanks again, Randy!
-J