On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, cr7 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> the following infos are logged when I attach my external USB Harddrive.
> It happens on ppc (ibook) and on my Via KT266/Athlon-PC.
>
> External Harddrive:
> HDD:  Samsung SP1614N
> Case: Macpower Pleiades, Oxford 922 (OXSEMI)
>
> What can I do to help solving this problem?
>
> Syslog attched (messages) and lspci -v output for my ibook.

> Feb 11 22:28:15 ibook-gentoo Vendor: SAMSUNG   Model: SP1614N           Rev:
> TM10
> Feb 11 22:28:15 ibook-gentoo Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI
> SCSI revision: 04

The problem is that your device says that it conforms to SCSI revision 04,
but then it dies when handed a REPORT_LUNS command (for which support is
mandatory in all SCSI revisions above 2).

For now, you can solve the problem by typing the following (as root)
before connecting the drive:

        echo 'SAMSUNG:SP1614N:0x40000' >/proc/scsi/device_info

This will suppress the REPORT_LUNS command.  In the future an entry could
be added for this kind of drive in the SCSI driver's blacklist table.

Is the Samsung unit actually an IDE drive, and does the case contain a
USB-IDE converter?  If so, then I would expect this problem to occur no
matter what drive is installed in the case.

Alan Stern