On Wed, 26 Jul 2006, Mathieu Drapeau wrote:

> Hello Alan and all,
> My kvm is working almost perfectly with the fix on the kernel but I got
> a small problem recently...
> Sometimes, when I switch away from my linux box for more than 10-12
> hours, my mouse and keyboard stop responding when I switch back to my
> linux box.
> Do you know what could cause that?

No.  Well, it _could_ be caused by a bug in the KVM switch.

> Do you know how to restart the USB detection?

See below.

> Does it have a workaround to avoid this issue?

Simple workaround: Don't use the KVM, or don't switch away for more than
10 hours.  :-)

How to restart the USB detection with the KVM: I assume the information
in this old message is still valid...

> >>hub 7-4:1.0: USB hub found
> >>hub 7-4:1.0: 3 ports detected
> >>hub 7-4:1.0: compound device; port removable status: FFF
> >>hub 7-4:1.0: no power switching (usb 1.0)

If the KVM hasn't crashed, you can force the USB subsystem to re-detect
the KVM and the devices behind it by doing this (as root):

        echo -n 7-4:1.0 >/sys/bus/usb/drivers/hub/unbind
        echo -n 7-4:1.0 >/sys/bus/usb/drivers/hub/bind

Of course, if your keyboard isn't responding then I don't know how you can
run those commands.  But if you figure out a way (network login from
another computer, perhaps) they might get things working again.

If not, you should post the dmesg log showing what happens when you try to
run those commands.

Alan Stern