Hi,

I've a strange USB 2.0 problem. Whenever I attach a USB mass storage
device to my USB ports (no matter whether the port is in the back or the
front of the PC) it simply won't work. When I get rid of the ehci module
and load the ohci module, the PC recognizes the USB hard disk without
any problem.
Yes, it is a USB 2.0 hard disk.
Yes, the ports themselves are 2.0 (BTW: Is it possible that they're
"half broken"? Working only in USB 1.1 mode?)

The error message I get for the USB hard disk:

usb 2-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
usb 2-1: unable to read config index 0 descriptor/all
usb 2-1: can't read configurations, error -110
usb 2-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
usb 2-1: unable to read config index 0 descriptor/all
usb 2-1: can't read configurations, error -110
usb 2-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
usb 2-1: unable to read config index 0 descriptor/start
usb 2-1: can't read configurations, error -110
usb 2-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
usb 2-1: unable to read config index 0 descriptor/start
usb 2-1: can't read configurations, error -110
usb 2-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
usb 2-1: device not accepting address 7, error -110
usb 2-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 8
usb 2-1: unable to read config index 0 descriptor/start
usb 2-1: can't read configurations, error -110
usb 2-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 9
usb 2-1: device descriptor read/all, error -110
usb 2-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 10
usb 2-1: device descriptor read/all, error -110

The same error messages apply for a USB stick.

After removing ehci and using ohci:

usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 5
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
usb-storage: device found at 5
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
  Vendor: ST325082  Model: 4A                Rev: 0811
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
SCSI device sdc: 488397168 512-byte hdwr sectors (250059 MB)
sdc: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled
sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sdc: 488397168 512-byte hdwr sectors (250059 MB)
sdc: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled
sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
 sdc: sdc1
sd 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi disk sdc
usb-storage: device scan complete

Huh? I don't get it. Maybe anyone here can enlighten me.
BTW: mobo is Asus K8N-DL with nforce4 chipset.

cu,
Nico