Must have been wishful thinking on my part ... I read the "Don't do
this while the gadget is connected to a USB host!" statement and
somehow managed to misinterpret the immediately following text "The
key is to use the loop device ...[procedures] ... Now you can transfer
files back and forth to your heart's content!" as a  workaround of
sorts.  I stand corrected.

I will investigate g_ether.

Thanks guys.

Todd