> > It's showing two keyboards?  There is only one connected.
> It must be
> > some kind of 'phantom' keyboard presented by the KVM
> switch.  The real
> > keyboard is the Logitech one.
>
> The KVM switch has no intelligence of its own, so it can't create
> "phantoms".  Furthermore this thing shows up behind a hub;
> again something
> the switch couldn't do.
>
> What exactly have you got plugged in to the KVM switch?  Is
> it a keyboard
> with USB ports attached and the trackball plugged into one of
> the ports?
> How many ports are there?  Is anything plugged into any of the other
> ports?
>
> Here's a cut-down version of your output, showing what's
> connected to the
> switch.  First you've got a hub.  It might be built into the keyboard:
>
> Bus 002 Device 006: ID 058f:9254 Alcor Micro Corp. Hub
> Device Descriptor:
>   bLength                18
>   bDescriptorType         1
>   bcdUSB               1.10
>   bDeviceClass            9 Hub
>   bDeviceSubClass         0 Unused
>   bDeviceProtocol         0 Full speed (or root) hub
>   bMaxPacketSize0         8
>   idVendor           0x058f Alcor Micro Corp.
>   idProduct          0x9254 Hub
>   bcdDevice            3.12
>   iManufacturer           1 ALCOR
>   iProduct                2 Generic USB Hub
>   iSerial                 0
>
> Plugged into the hub are three low-speed devices.  First is a keyboard
> (with 2 interfaces -- I have no idea what the reason is for that!):
>
> Bus 002 Device 007: ID 046d:c312 Logitech, Inc.
> Device Descriptor:
>   bLength                18
>   bDescriptorType         1
>   bcdUSB               1.10
>   bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
>   bDeviceSubClass         0
>   bDeviceProtocol         0
>   bMaxPacketSize0         8
>   idVendor           0x046d Logitech, Inc.
>   idProduct          0xc312
>   bcdDevice            1.00
>   iManufacturer           1 BTC
>   iProduct                2 USB Multimedia Keyboard
>   iSerial                 0
>
> Then there's the Trackball:
>
> Bus 002 Device 008: ID 046d:c404 Logitech, Inc. TrackMan Wheel
> Device Descriptor:
>   bLength                18
>   bDescriptorType         1
>   bcdUSB               1.10
>   bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
>   bDeviceSubClass         0
>   bDeviceProtocol         0
>   bMaxPacketSize0         8
>   idVendor           0x046d Logitech, Inc.
>   idProduct          0xc404 TrackMan Wheel
>   bcdDevice            2.20
>   iManufacturer           1 Logitech
>   iProduct                2 Trackball
>   iSerial                 0
>
> Finally there's this funny thing.  It might be a keypad or something
> [...]

It's a TRENDnet TK-407 KVM which connects four systems to a monitor, keyboard
and mouse.  There are separate USB ports for the keyboard and the mouse so for
the console connection it has one monitor connector, one USB connector with a
keyboard symbol above it and one USB connector with a mouse symbol over it.  I
have the devices connected to the indicated ports.  The keyboard does not have
any outgoing USB ports on it nor does the mouse.

The only other keyboard involved is the one built into the laptop computer also
connected to the KVM.  So I tried disconnecting everything from the KVM except
for the one Linux system but I'm still seeing the problem.

If there is a hub involved then it has to be inside the KVM.