Hi all,

I also encounter random USB disconnect in my platform currently. After
replacing a more powerful power supply, this symptom disappears. Maybe you
can try to replace another power supply of your motherboard.

Yawen Chiou

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, markus reichelt wrote:

> > > I've noticed a strange USB disconnect of an external HDD. There's
> > > several USB devices connected to this machine at all times,
> > > mostly hubs, but some directly connected HDD gets hit by this
> > > issue.

> But I tracked this annoying problem down anyway. It turned out it was
> solely hardware-related; I used the additional USB-port connectors on
> the motherboard (cable->slot) and these little buggers feature a
> pretty weak power supply. It's ok if a self-powered hub is connected
> to them, but if a device even demands 100 mA it borks (f.e. my old
> webcam). Chipset is nvidia (CK8S USB Controller).

Odd.  Any bus-powered device is allowed to draw up to 100 mA.  This
sounds like a good chipset to avoid.

Thanks for telling us the solution.

Alan Stern