> >What this means for you right now is that usbdevfs must be manually
> >mounted at /proc/bus/usb
>
> That's what I've been doing.  I agree that devfs doing it automatically is
> much better.

None of this "manual" stuff for me ...

/etc/modules.conf has (among other things, on an OHCI-only box)

    alias usbdevfs usbcore
    above usbcore usb-ohci

/etc/fstab has (among other things, on a single-user system)

    none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs devmode=0666 0 0

The downside of this is that I can't just "modprobe usbcore"
and have it work any more; the upside is that most distributions
automatically initialize those parts of the USB subsystem
(not the USB daemon, yet) at boot time, with no further changes.

- Dave