Thomas Sailer wrote:

> > Basically, yes -- even when performing "read" control messages.
> > Not a requirement I much like seeing imposed.

neither do I.

> IMNSHO one wants to give normal users the ability to see what
> devices are connected (they can read the stored descriptors), but
> one does not want an arbitrary user to crash an arbitrary USB device.
>
> Many USB devices can be crashed by sending an inappropriate control
> request even if it is only a read request. That's why write perms
> are required even for read requests.

Which is a usb spec violation ?

I see what you mean though. We actually have two flags for three levels of
access.
 o read stored descriptors
 o full read (real reads to the device)
 o full read/write

If this is correct, I believe the correct choice is made.  Crashing devices
should be prevented... even if they are out of spec.
Which descriptors are stored ? all of them ?

> And btw. a read request
> also requires a write phase on the USB bus.

But not a write phase to the device!
By reading descriptors you cannot change the configuration of the device, so
it can be given to every user. (depending on the r flags off course).
Arguing it is a write phase on the USB bus is like arguing a read from disk is
also a write phase to memory! (or on the PCI bus, or memory bus, whatever...)

        J.
--
                                  ________