This confused me too, but it seems that DSB-650 and DSB-650C are quite
different. I got the ids from dmesg or maybe usbview (so I added the line
about DSB-650 to kaweth.c) and it seems pretty clear that the driver
then finds the chip (before that nada) but it doesn't like it. Later
today I will try the newer version of the driver that Michael Zappe has
just announced.

Richard Melrose