> > Any one out there using an AOpen 32x12x48x CDRW?  Can you please tell me
> > what kernel module it uses?

I installed that model drive last week, on a system running rh7.2
I didn't need to play with kernel modules at all. The only thing i did was
insert the 'append=' line into /etc/lilo.conf and then run 'lilo' to update
the boot loader as Ryurick has already mentioned.
My cdwriter is connected as a slave on the secondary ide.

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda3