Thanks for the help. docboo2pdf works with sgml eg

<!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN">

<article>
   <sect1 id="introduction"><title>Hello world introduction</title>

         <para>
               Hello world!
                     </para>

                        </sect1>
                        </article>

I found some good links which may be of some use to somebody:

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/tutorials/docbook-guide/basic-docbook-guide.html.en
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-docbk.html

-Paul