On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 06:03:35PM +1200, Ben Aitchison wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 05:23:59PM +1200, Matthew Gregan wrote:

> Yeah, that's what prompted me to try FreeBSD out a couple of years
> ago.  But I got disk corruption under FreeBSD for some reason.  And
> then I decided to do an OpenBSD install instead, and never looked
> back.  I don't actually find it to be a problem of a serious enough
> nature to care.

Sure, the system works fine... but it doesn't use memory as efficiently
as it could, and you can definitely see the performance deficit in some
cases.  If you're building a server, it's fine to tune a statically
sized cache, but for a workstation having the flexibility of a unified
dynamic cache is nice.

> I might be able to host one.  I have hardware and net connectivity.
> I'm not sure how much bandwidth it'd use though.

If you're serious, talk to the guys that are running the NZ FreeBSD
mirror.  They can probably tell you how much bandwidth they're using,
and you could make a guess based on that.

> Yeah, I wasn't really empathizing security, as I kind-of thought that
> everybody knew that OpenBSD was good for security.  I was trying to
> point out that it's not just crippled, and only good for security.

Sure.

> > Don't forget the other nice stuff, like systrace.

> I haven't actually played with systrace yet, but it sounds very exciting :)

Now that we're on the topic of security, don't forget that Propolice is
integrated into the system compiler, and the kernel and all of userland
are built using that now.  And there's also the recent addition of W^X.

> I don't actually ever mount /proc in OpenBSD.

There's no need.

> It'd be nice if GRUB would load OpenBSD kernels actually.  I once had
> my own OS kernel that loaded from GRUB (and over network - very
> convenient for testing).

I'm sure the GRUB maintainer would welcome a patch.

> > If anybody would like a copy of OpenBSD, I can help them out.

> Do you want to transfer me all the packages for OpenBSD 3.3? :)

Sure, contact me off-list.

Cheers,
-mjg
--