From: Derek Smithies [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, 4 June 2004 10:21 a.m.
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to get the most out of google, wasRe: Done my
google... 5 buttons, how do I assign a task?

Hi,

There are several basic skills a linux person requires.
One such skill is,
 "how to get the most out of google".

First, I have found it usefull to add the word "tutorial" to my searching.

 thus, "linux tutorial 5 button mouse" found what appears to be some
  quite nice links::
http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=linux+tutorial+5+button+mouse
&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

I like to wrap important phrases in quotes to force them to be adjacent.

Linux tutorial "5 button mouse" would make sure that "5 button mouse" is in
the sentence in perhaps a chapter about linux in a document titled tutorial.
Look in the results bar at the top.  If it says a word was common and was
excluded, and you wish it was included, then prefix it with + so linux
+tutorial "5 button mouse". As far as error messages go, I just take a few
words at a time away if the whole error message gives no results.  Make sure
to prefix the error message with the word error.  That usually helps.
Ciao, Dave