From: Chad [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 24 June 2004 10:49 p.m.
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: no mandrake update updates

Roger Searle wrote:
> Thanks for the various replies - seem to be several ways to do this,
> anyhow it appears to be set, though as I did a urpmi --update
> --auto-select last night, there aren't any updates yet.

Thats fine.

> So right now I'm doing an urpmi --update kernel

Only worth doing if you want to update the kernel not alot of point if your
happy with the current one. If you use a nvidia card or any other special
gear that needs the drivers for it compiled you'll need to do.

urpmi --update kernel-source

As well to get the latest version of the kernel source. If you don't use a
nvidia card and don't install any specially drivers theres no real reason
to.

I personally don't think theres any reason to update the kernel each time
unless it fix's a bug that's been affecting you or could effect you. Or if
theres a major security flaw found and you computer is accesible from the
web
or by Randoms.

Chad