My "vision" was some sort of imap server running locally (under both windows and linux) to which was fed email from my paradise account, checked every minute. From there point whichever client to that server. Seems like a really simple idea but on further thought could be considerably complicated. Could also be that this is an entirely new idea that no-one does.

Thanks for the link Jim, I'm having a look now.

Roger

Jim Cheetham wrote:

Roger Searle wrote:

[plucking up sufficient courage to post...] Is it possible to set something like that up with a standard pop.paradise account on a machine that needs to be able to dual boot? Similar in a way (but more versatile) to what I can currently do with Mozilla. I would love to be able to get my email in Mozilla when I need to be running XP, but also be able to use Evolution in Linux. (I'm still only able to run Lunux about 50% of the time at the moment.)

POP isn't very good at "leaving email on the server" scenarios - you can easily get confused between "new mail" and "mail previously seen but not deleted".

In general, I don't use an ISP-provided mailbox for anything except talking to the ISP itself ...

If you want to experiment with IMAP mail (which is the "correct" way to do what you want) take a look a http://imap.cc - FastMail, a freebie service that will at the very least let you play, and at the best will be your "hotmail" replacement.

> Guest
> 10 MB storage space
> 40 MB bw/month
> IMAP/Web access
> 45 day no activity period
> Taglines on emails
> FREE

(I have no connection with them, just found the service to be "exactly as advertised")

-jim