A couple of days ago I had a Word document (with numerous fonts) open in OO under linux. Most of the fonts weren't available in OO and it successfully made all the font substitutions (though didn't look anything like the original, which is not the point - it was viewable).

The interesting thing was that in OO there wasn't the Arial font available within the font dialog box, which I thought was pretty weird! So I simply clicked in the font box and typed the word Arial in to it. And it worked - looked just like Arial to me!

Roger

Christopher Sawtell wrote:

Quoting Rowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hello all Can anyone tell me how to open documents written in MSWord ? Is there an OS that can even open it ? I am running Mandrake 10. I have tried Oowriter but to no avail - it always appears as just lines of small squares and some punctuation.

With varying degrees of success these programs purport to be able to do it:- Abiword http://www.abisource.com/ Kword http://www.koffice.org/kword/ Antiword http://www.winfield.demon.nl/ wvWare http://wvware.sourceforge.net

This last one is very good and forms the basis for some of the others.

Microsoft's own Word document viewer which might run under Wine. http://office.microsoft.com/Downloads/9798/wdvw9716.aspx Take care here there are several different Word viewers to cater for the multiplicity of 'Word' file formats.

As others have said you will need the font ( or something close to it ) which was used to create the document. Microsoft have released some of the common fonts which are available from:-

ftp://ftp2.jetstreamgames.co.nz/pub/dist/gentoo/distfiles/ andale32.exe arial32.exe arialb32.exe comic32.exe courie32.exe georgi32.exe impact32.exe times32.exe trebuc32.exe verdan32.exe webdin32.exe

I'd suggest you use the command line ftp client and use the mget command. mget *32.exe That will get all the font files in one hit. Use Wine or one of the dos emulator programs to extract the font files from the .exe file. You are bound them all sometime in the future, so it's almost certainly worth getting then all in one go. Approx 3 Megs.

This page gives a very good overview of Word clones. http://microsoft.toddverbeek.com/wp.html

Last but not least there is the excellent TextMaker from http://www.softmaker.de/tmldemo_en.htm -- Sincerely etc. Christopher Sawtell