From: "Patricia Painter"
Sent: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:32:41 +1300
Subject: Commerce Commission Enquiry

CAWN105073

Dear Mr Fisher

We have considered your e-mail under section 36 of the Commerce Act
1986. Section 36 prohibits a person with a substantial degree of market
power from taking advantage of that power for the purpose of preventing,
restricting, deterring, or eliminating competition in a market.

You suggest that Telecom is deliberately delaying connections and
switching of customers to broadband services supplied by ISPs other than
Xtra. We are aware that customers have been experiencing delays in
getting services connected and switched. However, we have no evidence
that Telecom is deliberately causing such delays. Our understanding is
that delays are due to large volumes of requests for connection and
switching, coupled with the time, steps and actions required to process
each request. With no evidence that Telecom has an anti-competitive
purpose, it is unlikely to be contravening the Act.

Yours sincerely

Patricia Painter
Contact Centre Adviser
Commerce Commission