Thank you Roy, and Kerry,

My answer, given I wanted to put a few characters immediately before
every instance of a paragraph mark and retain the paragraph mark was to
search for $, and then replace with "characters \n".

Agreed with Kerry's comments that some of the help descriptions are
somewhat unclear, it may well be that Ian's macros do indeed help and I
will put that on my list of things to do.

Kerry, the ctrl+F alt+O line from Roy's reply is the keyboard shortcuts
to perform the task without needing to touch the mouse.  In general (any
application) the alt key plus the underlined character in a dialog box
provides this functionality.