Sounds are partially working on this feisty install. Amarok goes great so at least I know that I have codecs for mp3 files and that the onboard sound is working in some way. I have installed via automatix all the available multimedia codecs, mplayer and firefox plugins, and non-free audio and dvd codecs. Yet any random youtube video has no sound, nor do I hear anything if I go to system settings > sound system and click the "test sound" button, where I have tried either ALSA or auto detect as the audio device.
Any tips on how to properly test and resolve this would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Roger