Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
>> Hi, I have managed to partially configure the settings for an LCD
>> monitor that is rated at 1440x900 @60Hz (from the manual's specs - an
>> AOC 193FW).  I did so by using SuSE's "Graphics Card & Monitor" tool in
>> Yast.
>>

> Good.
>

>> This got me as far as getting 1440x900, but the only refresh
>> options available (KDesktop > Display) are 50 and 55Hz.  It doesn't look
>> flash at 50, way better at 55Hz, and of course I want to be getting the
>> rated 60Hz (hoping it looks even better).
>>

> That KDE refresh selector is kind of a pointless feature. Why would you
> ever switch down? Configure the system for one frequency and do it
> right. It's made for CRT monitors anyway.
>
> With LCD monitors, there are 2 things to know:
>
> 1) The resolution (correct: number of pixels) has to always be exactly
> the same as the number of pixels of the LCD panel, otherwise there is
> serious loss of quality to the point of the whole monitor being useless.
> So no choice here, the monitor comes with a number and that's it.
>
> 2) Because the delay of switching pixels of an LCD panel is so
> astronomically high, there never will be any flicker caused by a
> vertical refresh which is too low. Therefore this is basically a
> pointless number; the monitor will probably be using internally what it
> wants to anyway and there's nothing you can do about that.
> However, the rate at which the data goes from the computer into the
> monitor's frame buffer needs to be within the limit of the monitor's
> input circuitry. As this has nothing to do with reducing flicker (as
> with CRTs), you can put what you want, within the limit of course.
> That's why 60Hz almost always gets you there. Of course someone could
> make a really cheap fixed frequency input circuitry, in which case only
> 60Hz will get you there (monitor will give sync error otherwise).
>
> Again: the refresh rate from computer to LCD monitor only has to match
> the input circuitry of the monitor and has no effect on flicker of the
> display.
>
> That was the background, now to the problem.
>
> When I look in the monitor model list under AOC, there are only what
> looks like CRTs. Go for model "LCD", and pick a generic resolution and
> 60Hz. That's all you should need to do, however, there's 1440x900 only
> with 70Hz. Ok 2 options: try that first (make sure you use the test
> function in SaX2, if you're left with an Xorg config with which the
> monitor doesn't sync you're somewhat screwed). Next, still select
> [EMAIL PROTECTED], and go into the Sync frequencies tab and reduce the upper
> limit of vertical from 72 to 62. If that works, file a bug at
> bugzilla.novell.com for openSUSE saying that [EMAIL PROTECTED] is needed in
> the "--> LCD" list.
>
> Oh and you can ignore the "wrong sync frequencies will damage your
> monitor" with LCDs. Though don't try and crank it, you're wasting your
> time, the picture can't get any better.

> [...]
I had followed the route via model=LCD,[EMAIL PROTECTED] and then edited the
xorg.conf modelname and vendorname lines.

xwininfo -root

(doesn't tell me anything on refresh rate?)

xwininfo: Window id: 0x155 (the root window) (has no name)

  Absolute upper-left X:  0
  Absolute upper-left Y:  0
  Relative upper-left X:  0
  Relative upper-left Y:  0
  Width: 1440
  Height: 900
  Depth: 24
  Visual Class: TrueColor
  Border width: 0
  Class: InputOutput
  Colormap: 0x20 (installed)
  Bit Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Backing Store State: NotUseful
  Save Under State: no
  Map State: IsViewable
  Override Redirect State: no
  Corners:  +0+0  -0+0  -0-0  +0-0
  -geometry 1440x900+0+0

however both xvidtune and nvidia-settings are showing that I am on 60Hz so all
good.

Thanks for all the replies!  3 great commands I didn't know about. And I'm sure
I'll get better picture as soon as I get a dvi extension and dispense with the
vga cable it's currently running on.

Roger