Roy Britten wrote:
Thanks all for your responses. Some interesting projects there.

For now I'll suggest nautilus or konqueror (whatever he has available)
and see what happens when he hits F9.

Cheers,
Roy.

Konqueror has become my choice though following the suggestions yesterday I have been having a play with Krusader and will give that a go for a few days.

I have noticed some subtle differences between Konqueror depending on distro. For example in suse I can have a terminal window at the bottom of Konqueror which I find really handy, but that is nowhere to be seen in kubuntu. Also, kubuntu's navigation panel will display the + or - sign next to folders to expand or close the view of subfolders in that pane, but the main pane will not. in the "minor annoyance" category.

the ability to split panes horizontally or vertically is a big plus over windows explorer, and to be able to configure and save "view profiles" (settings menu) may be features that has your friend impressed by the flexibility and configurability in general.

Cheers,
Roger