Steve Holdoway wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 12:05:43 +1200
> Roger Searle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> But
>> surely (I'm guessing) the laptop come with a boot disk for situations
>> where the start menu entry for a restore can't be used?  That may be all
>> that is needed.
>>

> What vendors now do is to provide you with the ability to generate these
> disks on first bootup. Although this saves money, it seems that very few
> people actually do this. Although Compaq used to have a hidden partition with
> this stuff on, didn't they?

Not totally sure with Compaqs these days (and I lose clarity on which
vendor has done what at which times).  Not that long ago [1] it used to
be a drivers partition but with larger hard drives now is the "full"
install disk.  Or so I thought (I seldom/never need to use it).  So
maybe Compaq leave their general customers with little option aside from
paid support or knowing a geek in the situation where the customer
doesn't make the disk....

To bring this back to being on topic, could be a trap to watch out for
when partitioning or reinstalling, in that (k)ubuntu doesn't wipe that
partition out.

Roger
[1] it might actually be some years now - i still FEEL like I'm
20-something...