Hi

You can get Linux from any reasonable bookshop of reasonable sized supermarket for $10.00. You simply don't get to choice of distribution. Each month APC magazine features a Linux distro on the cover DVD. If you need to get started in a hurry, don't have an internet connection and aren't fussy its a good place to start.

The library is another place to look if you don't want to spend any money and don't mind an older distro. Choices are linux magazines or look in the OS section of the computer books.

All within Christchurch.

Regards

Graeme Kiyoto-Ward

alanw wrote:
Thanks Chris, but the point of the exercise is... ah, what would you call
it?... get it now?

If I wanted a copy of a Linux distribution, say Mepis, for example, where
could I get it, within the hour?

I can pick up a micro$oft CD from a multitude of places, and have it in my
hot little hand, within the hour, because it's everywhere practically.  Yet,
I can't do that with Linux.  Simply because I don't know where to go.

Picture someone in Chch on holiday, say, and they don't know anyone here
yet.  They hear of a new distro they want to try out on their laptop maybe.
But they don't have broadband (or it's not working, whatever)... where can
they get the CD?

Is there a list of places I could point them to?  No. I don't even know
myself where I'd go.

So I've got the yellow pages open, and am ringing around.  So far...

Harvey Norman is out, no Linux at all.  Future plans - none.

The Computer Broker used to have Ubuntu for $5 but no longer stock it.
Future plans - none.

Dick Smith?  Old and new versions of Ubuntu - $7 and $9.  Get it now?