Problem seems solved. The machine wouldn't boot with "acpi=off" removed from the grub entry - why that is will have to wait until (forever probably). /var/log/Xorg.0.log was growing by several kb per minute. Editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf (vi of course - 100% via command line) and adding the following to the ServerFlags section (not the "server" section as mentioned in the link below):

Option "NoPM" "true"

and /var/log/Xorg.0.log has been the same size for over 10 minutes now! Thanks to everyone who replied, and I'll be looking in to logrotate in the nearish future.
Roger

Roger Searle wrote:
Yes I saw that post too. When the machine was first set up there were some booting difficulties that were resolved by turning off acpi:

title openSUSE 10.2 - 2.6.18.8-0.5
kernel (hd0,2)/vmlinuz-2.6.18.8-0.5-default root=/dev/md0 vga=0x317 acpi=off resume=/dev/md1 splash=silent showopts

Given that the error mentions ACPI I am guessing that a resolution may come from removing acpi=off. People are using files on the machine now so I'll try rebooting with a modified grub entry in the morning and see if it stops the log file from growing like it has over recent weeks.

Roger

Nick Rout wrote:
Although google doesn't tell me why, this is the first page google turns
up and appears to have a solution:

http://www.techtalkz.com/suse-linux/62655-x-server-problem-10-2-a.html