Well, we certainly could use a games-centric version of Fedora 8 at the St
Albans NN - advertise it right, and word would definitely get around ... ! ;)

Wesley Parish

On Tuesday 20 November 2007 16:24, Steve Holdoway wrote:
> Maybe there's an opportunity here to extend the services offered by the St.
> Albans gang??? I know there's a games-centric version of Fedora 8 just come
> out ( sorry, couldn't get away with downloading *that* one at work (: ),
> and with Christmas around the corner.
>
> Christopher/Wesley/Edwin + any others who I've unintentionally left out...
> wocher rekkon??
>
> Steve.
>
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 15:55:22 +1300 (NZDT)
>
> Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The Computer Broker will sometimes discount their ex lease boxes if you
> > don't want the OS, and many of them come in OS and OSless options
> > straight off the floor.
> >
> > Even the ones without an OS seem to have a license sticker, which
> > presumably means you can install the licensed OS, although i note the
> > opinion of someone on NZLUG who had read the licence who said that after
> > the second owner, the license was no longer transferable (ie the third
> > owner had to buy another licence). Anyway there is more than one MS
> > license and I guess you need to read the actual one that pertains to the
> > actual machine.
> >
> > In buying ex-lease gear I look at the hardware price in the knowledge
> > that I don't give a rats thingamy what version of windows i can run on
> > it. If the vendor will take a few dollars less without the OS on board,
> > thats cool, but I look first and foremost at whether the hardware is
> > worth the price.
> >
> > One time the broker did discount me a box with no OS. The guy was going
> > to reformat the hard drive to remove whatever abomination had been
> > installed on it, and I said "I'm in a bit of a hurry, theres no way I am
> > going to run that piece of crap, I promise I'll take it off as soon as I
> > get home" He grinned and handed me the box (and of course I kept my word,
> > its now running mythtv).
> >
> > Nick
> >
> > On Tue, November 20, 2007 3:30 pm, Edwin F wrote:
> > > There was a discussion on the NZLUG recently about the availability of
> > > OS-less ex-lease boxen - apparently, most of them suffer from the MS
> > > tax due to their old licenses being no longer transferrable, or
> > > something to that effect.
> > >
> > > I thought I would throw it out there that I am in the process of
> > > starting a small ex-lease thing, and I would gladly supply cheap,
> > > OS-less boxen if the demand is there, and perhaps somebody would like
> > > to contact existing ex-lease sellers around Christchurch about
> > > supplying OS-less boxen for a lower price and compile a Linux-friendly
> > > supplier list on the CLUG wiki?
> > >
> > > Hope nobody minds, but...
> > > == blatant plug time ==
> > >
> > > I have a bunch of these boxen, currently:
> > > Intel Celeron 2.0GHz
> > > 512MB DDR RAM
> > > 40GB HDD
> > > Broadcom GigE
> > > CD-ROM Drive
> > > Floppy Drive (remember those? -- neither do I)

> [...]

-----
Gaul is quartered into three halves.  Things which are
impossible are equal to each other.  Guerrilla
warfare means up to their monkey tricks.
Extracts from "Schoolboy Howlers" - the collective wisdom
of the foolish.
-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?