On Friday 18 April 2008 12:36, Andrew Errington wrote:
> On Fri, April 18, 2008 06:15, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> > On Fri 18 Apr 2008 00:34:28 NZST +1200, Christopher Sawtell wrote:
> >> Many more using Google "gpl free raster to vector"
> >
> > Having the schematic in vector format is one thing. Do you also want it
> > in a format suitable for a schematic editor? That's probably a no-hoper.
>
> Might not be quite so bad.  KiCad (for example) is a free, open-source
> schematic capture and PCB layout tool.  I'm not sure of the documentation
> for the schematic file format, but here's something:
>
> http://stawoo.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=ecld:kicad:schematic
>
> The tricky part would be getting the raster-to-vector software to
> recognise the difference between a bunch of lines joining the nodes and
> the lines that make up a component symbol.

When the jgp is describing a 3d part, it gets hairy ... real hairy.

> IMHO it would be easier to print the original JPG and use KiCad to draw
> the schematic again from scratch.

All I need, since the jpgs I'm talking about describe boats' lines, is to get
the CAD I decide to use, to place the lines along the defined axes at the
defined points - eg, one set of lines I'm playing with, the Spray, has its
waterline and station points at 6 inch to 2 foot distances.  It's impossible
with the minimal amount of information a jpg file stores, to derive that from
the jpg file itself - I would need to add it using the CAD program itself.

What i want is to be able to turn the jpg into a set of lines in a CAD file
that I can take and use as necessary.

But thanks

Wesley Parish

-----
Gaul is quartered into three halves.  Things which are
impossible are equal to each other.  Guerrilla
warfare means up to their monkey tricks.
Extracts from "Schoolboy Howlers" - the collective wisdom
of the foolish.
-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?