These's several approaches I can think of, right off the top of my head:

The Community newspaper approach - we talk to someone at the local community
newspapers, about how this group of techies and geeks are working together to
offer these resources to the various parts of the community, if they want it
and if they know about it.

The Computer page in the Press approach - we talk to someone at the Press
about how the Linux Users Group has teamed up with the St Albans
Neighbourhood Net to offer a freely available resource.

The Community Organizations approach - we get volunteers in various parts of
the city to go around to various Community Groups/volunteer organizations/etc
and offer to help them with their computers, on top of any arrangements they
may already have, and point them in the direction of St Albans for a
completely free set of software, etc ...

The Schools approach - those of us who aren't terrified of Schools, go around
varous schools - preferrably the ones in your own neighbourhood; it looks
good that way - and talk to them about the benefits of FOSS software, and
point them in the direction of St Albans, etc.

The City Council approach - anyone with City Council somewhere in their
personal filing cabinet, goes around to their local friendly City Council
organization that they are part of, and talks to them about the benefits of
FOSS, and points them in the direction of St Albans, etc ... it strikes me
that if you're going to be talking to the City Council about FOSS, one of the
most important things to point out is the licensing freedom aspect - if there
is a natural disaster in Christchurch, and the software licenses are stored
on computer which then falls over and loses track of the licensing
arrangements, the City Council is going to choke.

Just my 0.02c - and that's heavily inflated! ;)

Wesley Parish

On Tuesday 29 April 2008 20:53, Steve Holdoway wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 20:08:11 +1200
>
> Christopher Sawtell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Ah yes, but did they actually use it?
> >

> > --
> > Sincerely etc.
> > Christopher Sawtell
>
> I hope so. I would feel rather sad if all of (especially) your and Wesleys
> efforts aren't appreciated. Unfortunately, I'm so busy that I can only
> offer the odd (!) distro. BTW ubuntu hh live + 2 x kubuntu live cd's any
> use??
>
> Anyone out there with ideas to promote the resource???
>
> Steve.

-----
Gaul is quartered into three halves.  Things which are
impossible are equal to each other.  Guerrilla
warfare means up to their monkey tricks.
Extracts from "Schoolboy Howlers" - the collective wisdom
of the foolish.
-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?