I've never used the server edition but I'm sure it doesn't come with X
The Desktop version would probably need more configuration disabling the desktop features
and would take more HDD space up

Quote form the website "On the desktop you have a full set of productivity, internet, drawing and graphics applications, and games. On the server you get just what you need to get up and running and nothing you don't"

check out this http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/serveredition
and this http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/desktopedition
Hello there,

I am about to install an Ubuntu server on a virtual setup and I am
wondering
whether anyone who has had experience with setting up Ubuntu servers
can give opinions on whether it is better to just install a desktop version and install what
is required or install the server version?

- Does the server version just exclude X or is there a some other stuff that it offers for a production server?
- Does Ubuntu server offer server set-up tools that I should know
about?
- Would the desktop version be a big problem for a server?

Visit our website at http://www.crop.cri.nz ______________________________________________________ CAUTION: The information contained in this email is privileged and confidential. If you read this message and you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of all or part of the contents is prohibited. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately.

Any opinions or views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not represent those of their employer.