FWLIW, I'd put only the initial M | F and final enumeration into IF statements.
 And then I'd put the largest IF ... THEN ... ELSE into a SWITCH ... CASE
instead: it's easier to read.

while(!EOF) {
   /* read file into array */
   if (M && ){
      switch(etc)
         do whatever
         break;
      [...]
      switch(etc)
   count++
   else if
      switch(etc)
   else
      switch(etc)
   count++
   }

Just my 0.02c worth - don't spend it all at once - we _do_ have a financial
ongoing crisis. ;)

Wesley Parish

Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> I hope people don't mind me posting these here, let me know if you do
> and
> I'll find a more appropriate geek list to post them.
>
> The C program I'm working on at the moment is taking a list from a data
> file and populating an array to either be outputted either to screen,
> file
> or printer. the foo.dat file is like this:
>
> F 26 5
> F 64 4
> F 29 2
> M 12 3
> M 40 1
> ...snip...
>
> So I need to populate (using count++) a two-dimensional array based on
> whether the first column is M or F the second column is within a range
> and
> whether the thrid column is either 1,2,3,4or5
>
> This is the part that's doing my head in, I could do it using a very
> convoluted if-else-if loop which would end up giving me a massive and
> hard
> to maintain piece of code
>
> ie:
>
> if line == (F && < 25) && 1)
>  then count++ to array[0][0]
>
> else if line == (F && < 25) && 2)
>  then count++ to array[1][0]
>
> etc,
>
> etc,
>
> etc,
>
> (code won't compile - made it more human readable for mostly my
> sake...)
>
> doing it this way I would end up with 25 if-else-if statements. is there
> way to take the && 1) section read the number from the third coloumn
> from
> the foo.dat file and minus one from it? This would give me the x axis
> of
> the array - or am I barking completly up the wrong tree?
>
> Or is there a better way to do this? any pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Kerry
>
> ps, I hope I'm making some kind of sense with all of this.....

"Sharpened hands are happy hands.
"Brim the tinfall with mirthful bands"
- A Deepness in the Sky, Vernor Vinge

"I me.  Shape middled me.  I would come out into hot!"
I from the spicy that day was overcasked mockingly - it's a symbol of the
other horizon. - emacs : meta x dissociated-press