Ok, handy.  I hadn't found the biffsocko page, but it is specific to the
HD version.  The other ones concern the SSD version.  If Ubuntu works then
pretty much any derivative will (Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mepis, ad nauseum).

Unfortunately, IMHO the Asus keyboard sucks rocks, and so does the
touchpad.  The Acer has a better keyboard and a Synaptics touchpad, so
that's all good.

Thanks,

Andrew