Thanks.  That's what I needed to know.

Yes, I've got a turntable, with stereo output; I've got an amplifier - a nice
little Fender Harvard.  I just don't know how to connect the two together and
then to my soundcard.

Wesley Parish

Quoting Stephen Irons <stephen.ir...@tait.co.nz>:

> Nick Rout wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Andrew Errington
> > <a.erring...@lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Wesley,
> >>
> >> As others have pointed out, if you have a record player already then
> you
> >> can hook it up to the audio input of your PC sound card and record
> the
> >> sound that way.
> >>

> > Actually you are far better off with a preamp. IIRC levels
> > (impedance?) from turntables don't match well with line-in on a sound
> > card.
> >
> There are at least three factors to consider when hooking up a turntable
>
> to a sound card:
>
>  * signal level -- some turntable cartridges give very low output,
>  often lower than microphone levels
>  * impedance -- some turntable cartridges have high output impedance,
>  which needs an amplifier or preamp of high input impedance
>  * equalisation -- records are recorded with high-frequencies boosted
>  and low frequencies cut; during playback, you need an RIAA
>  equalisation filter to correct this
>
> Your best solution is as recommended: plug a turntable into a amplifier
>
> with a 'phono' input and record using a sound-card connected to the
> tape-recorder outputs.
>
> You could try connecting a turntable output to a microphone input and
> apply the equalisation in software after recording (Audacity has an RIAA
>
> equalisation filter), but you would probably do better to use a real
> hardware preamp to ensure that the levels and impedance are correct.
>
> Stephen Irons

> ==========
> This email, including any attachments, is only for the intended
> addressee. It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be
> the subject of legal or other privilege, none of which is waived or
> lost by reason of this transmission.
> If the receiver is not the intended addressee, please accept our
> apologies, notify us by return, delete all copies and perform no
> other act on the email.
> Unfortunately, we cannot warrant that the email has not been
>  altered or corrupted during transmission.

"Sharpened hands are happy hands.
"Brim the tinfall with mirthful bands"
- A Deepness in the Sky, Vernor Vinge

"I me.  Shape middled me.  I would come out into hot!"
I from the spicy that day was overcasked mockingly - it's a symbol of the
other horizon. - emacs : meta x dissociated-press