Quoting John Rye <jrt...@clear.net.nz>:

> On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 22:43:57 +1200
> Wesley Parish wrote:
>
> > Hi, all
> >
> > This afternoon I was at the St Albans Community Centre downloading
> some freely
> > available music and other stuff, and I noticed the download speed was
> at
> > about 56 KB per second, when it usually is faster, usually about 80
> KBps and
> > sometimes well into the 100-plus KBps. I shrugged it off as the
> effects of
> > being on a shared braodband connection.
> >
> > I come home to my dialup connection, and discover that downloading my
> email
> > from TelstraClear's Paradise.net.nz is at an all-time slow. At the
> rate it
> > is downloading my email, the Universe will suffer a heat death long
> before it
> > reaches a quarter of the way.
> >
> > It appears that the St Albans broadband and my dialup may share the
> same
> > affliction.
> >
> > Am I the only one? Or is this a universal experience?
>
> I'm on TelstraClear dsl and currently downloading a 4gb iso via ftp from
> server in France.
>
> Throughput is varying between 20kb/s and 86/kb/s on a theoretical half
> meg
> bandwidth, and it's been this way since about mid-afternoon
>
> John

So it's not just me.  The St Albans connection is with xnet, and my dialup
connection - in Sumner - is with TelstraClear's Paradise.net.nz.

I suspect, based on that minimum sample, that the problem is with the Telecom
copper network.

Wesley Parish

"Sharpened hands are happy hands.
"Brim the tinfall with mirthful bands"
- A Deepness in the Sky, Vernor Vinge

"I me.  Shape middled me.  I would come out into hot!"
I from the spicy that day was overcasked mockingly - it's a symbol of the
other horizon. - emacs : meta x dissociated-press