Thanks everybody.

I'll take a look at the jack point.  I suspect it's the problem, but until
I've opened it, I can't be sure.  If it is, I'll put a call through to
Telecom, and ask if they really want untrained poeple fiddling around with
their jack points - I do pay the line maintenance fee, and it's recently gone
up.

It's time for them to earn their money.

BTW, I don't have DSL - I'm on dialup, and at times I've had download speeds
at the dizzying speed of 4 bytes a second, which puts NZ among the few
nations warranting the full-time use of the Interplanetary Internet Protocol.
http://www.ipnsig.org/

Perhaps I should make an online petition for New Zealand to adopt the
Interplanetary Internet Protocol, since it appears to be the only way I'll
ever be able to download my email with a reasonable expectation that I'll
actually get it downloaded before the Universe ends.

Wesley Parish

On Monday 11 May 2009 16:39, Phill Coxon wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 11:46 +0900, Andrew Errington wrote:
> > Not exactly.  The wiring maintenance fee is to cover the wiring *inside*
> > your home.  Telecom will provide service to the demarcation point at your
> > address (may be the boundary, may be the box on the eaves, may be the
> > entry point into your house).  If the fault is 'downstream' of that
> > point, i.e. in the house wiring, you have to pay to fix it (unless you
> > have paid the maintenance fee).  If it is 'upstream', i.e. in the street
> > wiring, they should fix it.
>
> Last year about this time I was having significant voice / ADSL line
> noise issues in wet weather.
>
> I got the usual down play and brush off when I first called faults (have
> you checked all your phones and equipment blah blah)
>
> So I waited until the line noise showed up, put the phone on speaker,
> recorded it on mp3 called back the operator and played it LOUD :)
>
> They agreed there was a problem and immediately sent out a technician to
> check it out.
>
> In the end I had two technicians come out.  The first time they found an
> old telecom socket in the house which was faulty.
>
> The second visit they changed something up the street pole which cured
> it 100%.
>
> So just keep the pressure on and if you can record some noise or screen
> shots of the ADSL modem being disconnected etc it can help.
>
> A lot of ADSL modems will show the signal to noise ratio and if you time
> it right and refresh during some static you can get a massive figure for
> the noise :)

-----
Are couch potatoes good to eat?
-----