I have an on going issue with kmail.
it's got to the point of divorce if I don't get it sorted :(

When did this first occur sometime ago (yes I'm a slack bugger) I had an updates done then bang! Since then I've had other updates and upgrade to Kubuntu 10.04. This week with violence looming and marital unrest I thought if i do a fresh install and updates this'll fix the problems - NOPE it didn't.

what is happening is this.

OS starts and I've signed in
load kmail
once loaded it tries to connect to the server.
at some point it crashes!
sig 6 pid <whatever it was>

subsequent re starts either from the crash handler or from the desktop it will load and crash. I had a similar problem once before and by deleting the indexes I was able to recover from the crash so I tried that to no avail.

Now I've googled for help I've posted a bug report (this being the 2nd one - 1st one got closed as being a duplicate, 2nd issue is open and unconfirmed) nothing.

I've been happy to connect to webmail but she who threatens doesn't!

I've recently installed thunderbird so am getting emails in and she who threatens is a wee bit placated but now wants her old emails (women!!!) & address contacts (every unreasonable of her I mean it's not bothering me <grin>).

If anyone is able to suggest something i do as I was quite happy with kmail and my wife has been brought up on kmail (from me) and I suppose I'm lucky as she has never used windows at all else that would be thrown at me too.

Does this sound like it's something to try?

copy all emails to another location
delete all messages etc from the original directorys (ie have it clean) prove that kmail is stable then import messages back in?

This on the basis that something that i did unwittingly when the problem first occurred hasn't been fixed?

What was that action I hear you ask? - Deleting some email messages from a folder or from the trash.

any help would be gratefully appreciated