Good afternoon,

The University is currently undertaking to remove all existing lists from
our PMDF gateway and either destroy unused lists or migrate active lists to
a more suitable long-term solution.

For linux-users we've selected Mailman.  I intend to move the list early
next week (likely Monday), and the @it.canterbury domain will be replaced
with the @lists.canterbury domain - we'll keep the old email addresses
redirecting for a long while for consistency/ease of use.

The main visible user change will be the addition of:
[Linux-users]
To the subject line of all emails.

I will transfer the subscriber list at the time of migration, but should you
wish to subscribe using the Mailman interface prior to the migration, and
set your Mailman options/pick your own password, you can do so here:
If you don't before Monday, when you get subscribed a random password will
be allocated and you can retrieve it through the web interface if you ever
wish to use the web options.

For those of you who are curious, the new server is RHEL 5.4 (soon due for
patching to 5.5) running Mailman 2.1.9 supported by Exim 4.63 as the MTA.

If you have any questions/concerns about the migration please let me know -
this has already been successfully completed with some of our other
public-facing lists, so there should be no issues/downtime.

Cheers,

Dan Hawke
Server and Network Team, Learning Resources
Room 206, Information and Communication Technology Services Building
University of Canterbury

mailto:dan.ha...@canterbury.ac.nz
http://www.icts.canterbury.ac.nz