On Sat 07 Aug 2010 10:57:05 NZST +1200, Nick Rout wrote:

> Any particular card you recommend (or that I should avoid). I saw a
> via card on trademe and thought it best to avoid that baby!

I don't have first-hand experience with pci-e, sorry, but as a rule, for
sata cards I would try hard to pick a chipset that supports hotswap
properly. By that I don't mean will blow up, none will do that, but will
generate proper signals so the kernel can take the drive offline. Just
like the USB sticks. Check this:

http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SATA_hardware_features

When it works properly you can just pull the sata data cable off the
mobo, and plug it back in 10 seconds later and have your disk back.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann
http://volker.dnsalias.net/     Please do not CC list postings to me.