On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Tim Wunder wrote:
> On 9/25/2002 9:46 AM, someone claiming to be Net Llama! wrote:
> > On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Tim Wunder wrote:
> >
> >>There's a code fork in the Mozilla UI called Phoenix,
> >>http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/
> >>It's a browser only implementation, I guess it'd be similar to the likes
> >>of Galeon, only it still uses XUL for the UI. Version 0.1 has recently
> >>been released.
> >>So far, it seems they're only building for linux and Windows.
> >>Seems to be rather snappy in the few minutes I've been playing with it...
> >

> > Ya, i noticed it yesterday as well.  Overall feelings on /. were that its
> > still a bit rough around the edges (even for a Mozilla type project).
> > Seeing as how it still lacks alot of the configurability that Mozilla has,
> > i'm going to wait a while longer before trying it.  Its easy to remove
> > features and improve performance.
> >

> AFAIK, it just lacks the UI to the configurablility. Any browser
> settings available to a user thru use of prefs.js and user.js are

You'd think so, but apparently not.  Someone copied both files over from
their Mozilla dir, and not everything worked or was recognized as a valid
option.

> available. The big performance benny is the removal of mail/news,
> chatzilla, composer and their attendant cruft. It's *just* the browser.
> According to the release notes, much of its size (it's *still* and 8-10
> MB download) consists of unused Mozilla files that haven't been removed
> yet. It *does* have features that Moz doesn't, though. Two of which seem
> pretty good: a customizeable tool bar and a quicksearch for history and
> bookmarks.

Yea, i read that.  I'm not bashing it by any means.  I definitely will
give it a try once some more of the configuration options are in the GUI
(i firmly believe that no one should have to configure a GUI from a text
file).  I'm one of Mozilla's big supporters, and this is a good thing by
all means.

> As far as what the /.ers say about the project, I'd be more inclined to
> listen to people who investigate and read prior to making comments. I
> find the majority of posts on /. are made by people who simply don't
> have a clue...

Yea, there are alot of anonymous cowards out there, but usually i find
that when i read the bulk of teh commentary, the majority opinion tends to
be accurate.

> IMO, they need a second group to spin-off the mail/news client and fix
> that, too...

Are you volunteering?  ;)