Robert Brady wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Mar 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > From: Markus Kuhn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > - lots of historic ideographs have been added in Plane 02
> >             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > In accurate, the ideographs in plane 2 is not necessarily be
> > classified as historic. They are in fact the mixture of modern and
> > historic ideographs.
>
> It would be nice if someone could give an actual example.  For example,
> saying U+23434 is a character used in the names of hundreds of thousands
> of people.  Or that U+24545 is a vitally important character for writing
> Cantonese. Or something...

I know you picked those two at random, but here goes...

The only data for U+23434 is:
  U+23434       kIRG_VSource    0-3973
where the V0 source is TCVN 5773, so that it is a Vietnamese chu+~ no^m
character, and thus historic.  I don't have information on what it
means.

U+24545 has data for:
  U+24545       kIRG_GSource    HZ
  U+24545       kIRG_TSource    7-4E3D
where the latter is from one of the planes of Taiwan's CNS 11643.  It is
on vol. 1, p. 2038 of the G_HZ source, which says it is a variant form
of
U+4E82, which is luan 'chaos'.  Is it historic?  Well, I doubt that
anyone
is generating new literature with it, as most people do not go out of
their
way to use variants to show off what obscure characters they know, i.e.,
they are probably reading it rather than writing it (c.f., Egyptian
hieroglyphics).  But its presence in CNS 11643 can't be ignored,
either--its
in plane 7, introduced with the 1992 version of CNS 11643, which
suggests
someone needed it--whether to encode historic non-electronic text (e.g.,
medieval books) or not, we don't know.

Examples of characters in contemporary use in writing Cantonese include
U+21075, for gan, an aspect marker in Cantonese, that when placed after
a verb, denotes continuing action (roughly equivalent to <-ing> in
English);
U+282E2, for lip 'elevator/lift'; U+27639, for taai '(neck)tie';
U+28CD2,
for diu, a swear word (useful for court trancription); etc.

Proving that Plane 2 contains non-historic (by any definition)
characters
is not difficult; proving that no one is generating new text with a
particular
character (and thus getting solid figures on the ratio) is problematic.

Thomas Chan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
-