Hi Russell

you wrote:
> If multiple fonts exist for a language, then for all these font
> files to work with an editor, then all these glyphs must be indexed
> the same.

For complex scripts rarely will glyphs for the combinations you need to display be indexed the same from font to font - you really need to access the glyphs via OpenType, ATSUI /AAT or Graphite lookups.

For complex scripts (Indic, Arabic etc.) you probably want to use something which map characters to glyphs, handles the OpenType (or other) lookups in the font and returns a string of properly substituted and positioned glyphs. - To do all this you will probably want to use something like Pango:
<http://www.pango.org/>

You will probably also want to look at the OpenType spec and related documents:
<http://www.microsoft.com/typography/SpecificationsOverview.mspx>
<http://www.adobe.com/devnet/opentype/>
<http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/opentype/index_spec.html>

- Chris

Russell Shaw wrote:
Hi,
I was thinking of making a multilingual text editor.

I don't get how glyphs are done outside of english.

I've read the Unicode Standard book.

When a paragraph of unicode characters is processed, the glyphs
are layed out according to the state contained in the unicode
character sequence.

Depending on this state, the same unicode characters can map to
multiple glyphs depending on context.

If multiple fonts exist for a language, then for all these font
files to work with an editor, then all these glyphs must be indexed
the same.

Where can i find the standard that specifies what glyphs are indexed
by what number? Or are these glyphs created on the fly by the unicode
paragraph layout processor?