On Friday 26 October 2007, Richard Atterer wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 12:37:42AM +0200, Diego González wrote:
> > I'm using the Logitech Quickcam pro for Notbooks to do some computer
> > vision related tasks using OpenCV. If have tried to configure the camera
> > to get around 20-40 fps but all that i get is 5fps at max. luvcview
> > reports that the modes and it seems that i should be able to get 640x480
> > at 20,25 or 30 fps. But not even luvcview gets that many frames.
>
> You need *lots* of light to make the camera switch to higher fps values.
>
> By default, the camera is in "auto exposure mode", which means that it will
> automatically lower the frame rate to be able expose longer to get
> satisfactory results.
>
> Theoretically, it should be possible to switch auto exposure off and then
> lower the exposure duration to something like 1/200 second or shorter to
> get more fps. With my Quickcam 9000 Pro, I have only been able to do this
> using the "v4l2ucp" tool - luvcview's controls somehow do not work, they
> always return "ioctl set control error". However even that no longer works
> with recent versions of the driver - the exposure control no longer shows
> up in v4l2ucp. Maybe this is due to the ongoing "dynamic controls" work?

The exposure controls are still present in the driver. However, the control
enumeration code has been modified. Applications should use the
V4L2_CTRL_FLAG_NEXT_CTRL flag to enumerate device-specific controls,
otherwise the enumeration process will stop at the first unsupported control.

Cheers,

Laurent Pinchart