Michael,

Dynamic controls need to be added to the driver first, and you will
require admin rights for that.
You can see examples of this on libwebcam:
http://www.quickcamteam.net/software/libwebcam
and guvcview: http://guvcview.berlios.de
you will need to run them as root (sudo) once in order to add dynamic
controls, like focus control.

Also newer models of the pro 9000 (2008 model) use gspca driver and are
not uvc compatible.

Best regards.
Paulo