Here's an idea that I've been fermenting with mixed feelings.
I'm looking for a good way to associate a chan-chan address  (usually
virtual,  but not always)  with the IP address of the "leaf" node.
The address(es) of the hub node is usually less significant.

For ethernet "hardware address" there is /etc/ethers which matches the
6-octet MAC address to a hostname.   I don't like the idea of adding
yet-another-file  (or in the NIS case,  yet-another-map)  so I
wondered if we might could stuff the CTC address into some other place,
and /etc/ethers came to mind.

For example,  if you use CTC pair C004 and C005 for a "leaf" host
with address 192.168.1.1,  hostname "fred",  you would code

                00:00:00:00:C0:04 fred
        -or-
                00:00:00:00:C0:04 fred 192.168.1.1

(Not clear if the latter is strictly legal,  but seems to be tolerated.)

I'm curious what y'all think of this idea.
Doesn't help IUCV any.   :-(

--
Rick Troth, BMC Software, Inc.  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
2101 City West Blvd., Houston, Texas, USA, 77042   1-800-841-2031