2007/1/14, Sachin G Nambiar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

When i buy a software i have a right to use it in any way i wish.

That is Freedom 0. If you buy a non-free software you don't have these
rights.period.

But when
i distribute it as if it were my own(even with modifications), iam
basically building upon the millions(possibly) spent by the creator in
developing, market research for usability and marketing.

You are thinking from a proprietory business model. Free Software is created
because we want to live in Freedom. Open Source Software is to develop
powerful and reliable software. There isn't a creator but every one
collaborate here.

The creator has
every right to stop me from distributing the software because as a creator
he/she has every right to control who gets the software and who does not!

This is not a natural right but one he got from the  Bern Convention
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention_for_the_Protection_of_Literary_and_Artistic_Works

Software is intangible like mp3 and the effect of free distribution will
make my business model non-profitable!

Chose another business model that is profitable. Who said you should chose a
non-profitable business model?

The creator likes the society as a whole to be benefited thats why he made

the software, but not at his expense!

No, if he likes to see th whole socity benefited he would have released it
as Free Software.

Cheers
Praveen

--
"Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
`Don't bother us with politics', respond those who don't want to learn."