They are still struggling because Freedom is not the primary
motivation. When Linux, the kernel filled the last main component for
a complete Free Operating System, the biggest motivation -- Freedom --
is gone, and now the driving force for Hurd is a technically superior
kernel replacement that the current operating system research
recommends -- micro kernel design.

i'm with you there 100% micro kernels are the future.

Again that supports my argument --
there are people who develop (may not be end users but I look at the
entire community of users and developers) because Freedom is
important.

We didn't give up until java was completely Free. What do you think
was the drive behind gcj, classpath, kaffe, cacao, jamvm ... when java
was available free or cost and it worked?

When flashplayer is available for free of cost and it works and it
even comes by default in many GNU/Linux distribution why gnash and
swfdec?

Why people develop Free Software replacement for PDF viewers when
Adobe gives acrobat reader Free of cost? Doesn't it work?

Same for 3D drivers for ATI, NVIDIA....

GNOME was started because QT wasn't free, you look back and you can
see there are people who value Freedom and don't use GNU/Linux because
it just works.

I didn't just mean just the end users, I meant the entire Free and
Open Source community when I said there are people who care about
Freedom and we reached this far because of their efforts.

100% agreement and support.

Regards,

- vihan