On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 12:30:19PM +0400, Nadeem M. Khan wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Ravindra Jaju <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Nadeem M. Khan
> >  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  >
> >  >  It has an entry in the passwd file. That makes it a valid linux user.
> >  >  65535 or 65536 is its GID on RH based systems. Thats default. You can
> >  >  ofcourse change the name, the GID, or whatever.
> >
> >  Oh, interesting. Can you point to some official reference for this?
>
> Please google for "valid linux user".
>
> Users that have an entry in /etc/passwd are valid linux users, as
> opposed to users that login through directory services.

Errr, no. Any user whose informaion can be accessed via getpwent(3) are
valid Linux users. This is regardless of whether the information is in
LDAP, NIS, NIS+, Radius, a RDBMS, /etc/passwd, or any other sort of
store.

> >  I would like to see which 'Linux standard' sets uid '65535 OR 65536'

It isn't a Linux standard, it's a Sunos-ism.

Of course,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ getent passwd  nobody
nobody:x:99:99:Nobody:/:/sbin/nologin
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 4.6 (Final)

SunOS tradition was 65535.

Devdas Bhagat