On Sunday 28 December 2008 04:55, Dinesh Joshi wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 1:16 AM, jtd <j...@mtnl.net.in> wrote:
> > No. But you really suck. Noticed the distinct lack of a smiley.
> > No? heck never mind.
>
> Bah...and you think I care for your remarks? :)
>
> >> Explain how exactly is SAMBA/CIFS better than a M$ share.
> >
> > Stability....
>
> ooh...my gawd...stability... please backup your statements with
> proofs.
>
> > place and found that M$XP (dont remember if it was sp2) share of
> > a disk block on a M$2003 server was much slower than a simliar
> > share on a linux box. It could well be because of crappy AV on
> > the doze boxen, but you might as well burn the machine without
> > AV.
>
> agreed.
>
> > Prima face linux would beat doze because linux has superior file
> > / block handling and network infrastructure apart from the AV
> > overhead (now dont get started on numbers etc unless u wanna pay
> > me to do the study).
>
> Linux supports various file systems. It wouldn't make sense to say
> linux has a superior file / block handling since not all Linux file
> systems are created equal :P

This is about ANY linux fs v/s doze ntfs and fat fs under a network
file sharing protocol. We are not comparing one linux fs with some
other linux fs.

> > Similiar informal tests with samba and nfs (both on linux boxes)
> > found nfs to win. Again i had not tweaked samba in any way (and i
> > havent botherd to check for tweaks either), but increased the nfs
> > block size to 64k (or some such) for even better performance.
>
> Yeah yeah Linux beats crap out of Windows. Whose saying otherwise?
> Though compatibility is an issue infact heres a bit, you can use
> NFS on Windows boxes with some Unix utilities for windows software.
> I forget its name.

Tried it during this test. preliminary results were horrible. With the
nfs shares not showing up many a times and almost always disappearing
after a doze reboot.

--
Rgds
JTD