David Miller wrote:
The problem only occurs once you reference a function that references
libc stuff, and those guys are just lucky so far.

Yeah, lucky they don't need to reinvent the wheel every time the GCC/libgcc interface changes. :-)

If GCC generates a call to a libgcc function that calls a libc function, I'd consider that a pretty serious bug, given that said libc function is likely to consist of GCC-generated code, which could call the same libgcc function, which calls the libc function, etc.

It's also one less variable to debug if you put the implementation
in the kernel, or do you like debugging compiler induced problems?
I don't :-)

I'd say problems are more likely if you use nonstandard implementations of GCC internals...

-Scott