>Hello,
>
>if the MAIL variable is not configured or no mail file for the user
>exists, then the file '<unknown>' is polled.
>This causes unneccessary traffic if the home is nfs mounted.
>In this case, just leave *mail_path empty and return.

I ended up rewriting the entire mail checker because of this.  The new
mail checking stuff is more modular (i'm sure someone will probably
contribute a maildir implementation [hint hint]), and one of the features
i built into it was to /set mail 0 if it can't find a mailbox to poll.
That should completely avoid this bug.

Thanks for the report, and the patch!
Jeremy